Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Ethernet problem

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Ethernet problem
From: Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 13:14:04 -0500

At 12:17 PM 9/1/2000 -0500, you wrote:
5. Can you establish any type of connection between the two, in either
   direction? Like telnet, ssh, or something else?

Everyone, except cad1, can talk to mail. Telnet is turned off, but ssh, pop, ping, etc. all get to and from mail. I tricked cad1 into talking to mail by sshing into cad2 and then sshing into mail. Mail cannot talk to cad1. I just discovered that mail must think it is cad1. I sshed from mail to cad1 and got mail's login screen and my directory on mail. Depending on how cad1 is "feeling" connections to it can be made, but get dropped in a short time. A minute or two later they can be made again.

The part about mail thinking it is cad1 got me wondering if mail was really pinging cad1. It is not. I watched net traffic and nothing left mail while it pinged and heard from cad1. I don't know what that means or how to fix it. Any ideas?

Ryan
--
Visit the Guernsey Aviation web site: http://www.guernseyaviation.com/