Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Setting up a Zip drive with Linux...How?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Setting up a Zip drive with Linux...How?
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:10:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Haha.
>
> Leave it up to Apple to screw things up more than necessary :-)
>

> On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 02:37:33PM -0500, Ryan Claycamp wrote:
> > At 01:38 PM 4/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
> > >
> > >Once the proper support is in the kernel, you will need to mount /dev/sda4
> > >on a normally-formatted Zip disk (for some reason unknown to me, a Zip disk
> > >is by default formatted to use the 4th partition... you can reformat and
> > >change that, and it still works fine in other OSes, as far as I can tell...
> > >but if you buy a pre-formatted Zip disk, you'll typically need to use
> > >/dev/sda4 instead of /dev/sda1).

        I think this is correct.  The ZIP drives use partition#4, even if
they are MSDOS formatted.  They seem to be treated as a small hard drive
with a partition table.

                                T W

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx