Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2000:
[linux-help] Setting up a Zip drive with Linux...How?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Setting up a Zip drive with Linux...How?
From: "Patrick R. Klee" <trekkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 13:08:56 -0500

Hey guys, and possibly gals,  :-)

I got an Iomega Zip! drive for my birthday, and it said it is compatible
with Linux, and I think I got it set up, however, it runs through the
parallel port, and my printer hooks into the drive and the drive hooks
into the computer.  Also, my printer works but when I try to mount the
Zip drive, I get the message, "only root can mount /dec/lp0 on /mnt/zip.

If this helps, look at the following:

I have my device as /dev/lp0, because that is the printer port and the
printer works fine.
also, like /mnt/fd0, I have my mount point as /mnt/zip
finally, my filesystem type is vfat for Win9x/NT/DOS type files.  like
the floppy.

Any and all help would be greatly appriciated.

Thankx
Patrick