Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Setting up a Zip drive with Linux...How?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Setting up a Zip drive with Linux...How?
From: Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 14:37:33 -0500

At 01:38 PM 4/4/00 -0500, you wrote:

>Once the proper support is in the kernel, you will need to mount /dev/sda4
>on a normally-formatted Zip disk (for some reason unknown to me, a Zip disk
>is by default formatted to use the 4th partition... you can reformat and
>change that, and it still works fine in other OSes, as far as I can tell...
>but if you buy a pre-formatted Zip disk, you'll typically need to use
>/dev/sda4 instead of /dev/sda1).

I forget where I read this, but I remember that Zip and Jaz drives start of
the 4th partition because of Macintosh.  Something about Macintosh using
the first three partitions for system information and data starts getting
stored on the 4th partition.

Ryan
--
Visit the Guernsey Aviation web site: http://www.guernseyaviation.com/