Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2008:
[gopher] Re: OverbiteFF beta is READY!!

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: OverbiteFF beta is READY!!
From: Jeroen Schot <schot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:33:16 +0100

Hi,

On Feb 20, 2008, at 7:43 AM, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>>  * One thing that might be nice: 'Real'/skinnable pages for errors
>>    (itemtype 3).
>
> How do you mean? Strictly speaking, 3 could simply appear in any
> directory
> output. In fact, I'm changing Bucktooth default error messages in the
> upcoming 0.2.3 to something like
>
> 3 error text
>
> i error explanation
> i error explanation
>
> so that it's not only legible if item type 0, but if item type 1, it
> shows
> a very nice error document. It could even be mixed in with regular
> directories
> as a warning class. Thus I facilitated it acting as a meta-item type
> rather
> than taking over an entire menu, since I don't see any reason to
> make its
> semantics different than any other itemtype.
>
> Please speak up if you disagree :)

I now see my mistake: I wanted the error thrown by a missing item type
be rendered as an item type 1. That doesn't make sense. I like your
idea for
Bucktooth and agree that item type 3 isn't 'special'.

Two more minor suggestions, I have no idea if they are even possible for
extensions/add-ons:

  1. Register the gopher:// handle for Firefox.
  2. Use a custom icon for gopher:// bookmarks. (The mascot icon?)

Regards,
Jeroen Schot