[gopher] Re: Gopherspace archive

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopherspace archive
From: Alessandro Selli <dhatarattha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:53:42 +0200

John Goerzen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 05:38:47PM -0500, Benn Newman wrote:
>> What is the status of the archive of Gopherspace John was creating?
>
> I have it, but it's about 40G and I have nowhere to host it.

   WOAH!   That much?

> It is a flat directory structure, basically host/port/selector
>
> I would be happy to tar.bz2 and burn it to DVD-Rs or something and
> snail mail it to anybody that wants it.  In fact, I hope somebody
> *does* want it.  It would be bad if only one person had a copy of
> this.

   Did anyone try 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/)?  I read it compresses files
better than Bzip2:

http://www.freedb.org/
        Posted by joerg on Saturday, April 08 @ 20:56:00 UTC (462 reads)
        [...]
        As previously announced, we dropped the rar archives
        and offer 7-zip-archives instead now. We have not
        dropped the .tar.bz2 for the freedb-complete archives,
        yet, but we plan to drop them next month, since they're
        so much bigger compared with .tar.7z. If you really
        need the .tar.bz2 archives instead of .tar.7z, please
        let us know why.

--
Alessandro Selli
Tel: 340.839.73.05