[gopher] Re: Gopherspace archive

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopherspace archive
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:34:55 -0700 (PDT)

> If you would read the paper
> (We interrupt this e-mail for an MLA-ish citation!
> Lesk, M. E., "Some Applications of Inverted Indexes on the UNIX System."
>       Murray Hill, New Jersey: A really long time ago
> We now return to our e-mail)
> you would find out that there is a maximum number of keys per file/entry
> (or it is supposed to to anyway, documentation not meeting reality adds
> spice to life (or something like that)).

How would that apply, though? If you're only indexing by file*name*, that's
one thing, but if you were doing a full-text index, then your number of keys
is determined by the contents of the files, not the number of files
themselves. Unless I'm not understanding what you would allow to be
searchable, which is possible. :)

--
--------------------------------- personal: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ ---
  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx