[gopher] Re: Gopherspace archive

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopherspace archive
From: Benn Newman <newmanbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:08:59 -0500

Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>> If you would read the paper
>> (We interrupt this e-mail for an MLA-ish citation!
>> Lesk, M. E., "Some Applications of Inverted Indexes on the UNIX System."
>>      Murray Hill, New Jersey: A really long time ago
>> We now return to our e-mail)
>> you would find out that there is a maximum number of keys per file/entry
>> (or it is supposed to to anyway, documentation not meeting reality adds
>> spice to life (or something like that)).
>
> How would that apply, though? If you're only indexing by file*name*, that's
> one thing, but if you were doing a full-text index, then your number of keys
> is determined by the contents of the files, not the number of files
> themselves. Unless I'm not understanding what you would allow to be
> searchable, which is possible. :)

No idea, right, I think we are both confused!
Ask me again when I'm not so sleeepp.....
Through my tiredness, I realised a mistake: it is not a full text index;
it is a partial text index. It takes certain keywords (which can be
manual or automagic, by default a maximum of one hundred) from a file or
files and makes an index. Another program searches that index.

So in summary, I would try to make a ``partial-text'' index of the
archive. I would then (or perhaps while the index is being built!) make
a front end (a mole) to the program that searches the index (using sed
or awk). Then, if we find someone to host it (the archive), we could
have a on-line (i.e. Gopherspace, or Web, or whatever (hytelnet!)). (I
never knew how fun parenthesis were!) The index could also be
distributed with BitTorrent.
--
Benn Newman

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature