[gopher] Re: Gopherspace archive

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopherspace archive
From: Benn Newman <newmanbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:29:15 -0500

John Goerzen wrote:
> OK, well there are about half a dozen people that would like a copy of
> this.
>
> Do any of you that have expressed interest have the capability to put it
> online where others can download it?
>
> Before I spend a weekend burning a whole stack of DVDs, perhaps we can
> optimize this a bit.
>
> The 40GB is before compression.  After compression with, say, tar.bz2,
> it should be more manageable -- but still a significant amount of data.
>
> -- John
I do not have a place to put it up for download; I could, however try to
make a full text index (Using something even more portable then the full
text search back-end I was using on my Gopher server, a porter's
nightmere). I was reading a paper on the indexing system for refer (in a
nutshell bibTeX for troff). It can also be used as a general indexer.
The paper talks about (very impressive compared to using grep) an index
of 32,000,000 bytes (~32megabytes) (apparently, that was all the English
text they had on their system! Why do we need these big drives anyway!
:)). With all the software and binary stuff taken out, I think it should
(nearly) manageable. The index file shouldn't be nearly as big as the
whole archive, I could then make a front end to that (yay for sed and awk!).
--
Benn Newman

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s