[gopher] Re: Active ?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Active ?
From: Alessandro Selli <dhatarattha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:33:15 +0200

JumpJet Mailbox wrote:

>   Neither gopher://alessandro.route-add.net  or gopher://gopher.rp.spb.su are
> accessable from Port 70.  This is probably due to these Gopher servers being
> removed from Internet service.

   Yep.  The former server was my own: there was also a gopher.route-add.net
host.  But that was the time when those host names both resolved to
80.68.194.26, that was my ADSL connection's public IP address.  I now no
longer have an ADSL connection and I had to move my mail and web servers to
a hosting facility (alessandro.route-add.net now resolves into
195.182.210.150) that does not offer a gopher service as an option to its
customers.

   About the deploying of a UMN gopherd server: though things might have
changed since then, on march 13th 2004 John Goerzen wrote the following
commenting my running a public UMN gopherd 3.0.3 server:

http://lists.complete.org/gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx/2004/03/msg00007.html.gz

        Gopherd is no longer maintained.  Security holes were being
        found in it on a regular basis, and nobody really had the
        inclination to give it a thorough security audit given the
        fact that more advanced Gopher servers existed.  Therefore,
        I would strongly urge you *NOT* to deploy UMN Gopherd.

   Bye,

--
Alessandro Selli
Tel: 340.839.73.05