Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Re: Gopher thoughts

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher thoughts
From: MJ Ray <markj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:50:55 +0000

> Well, I suggested Python for several reasons:
>  1. A lot of framework is already done.
>  2. There are no buffer overflow issues to worry about.
>  3. It's fast to write such a thing in Python.

I suggested a Lisp family language (Scheme in my case) for the exact same
reasons, so I don't quite understand your differential.  Of course, Lisps
also provide you with hygenic macros and other powerful tools which I think
are still absent from current common Pythons(?) but these may not be useful
in this case.

Do we really care?  Just give us more interesting gopher servers powering
more interesting gopher sites ;-)
--
MJR