Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Re: Gopher thoughts

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher thoughts
From: Paul Lindner <lindner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:51:53 -0800

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 10:30:50AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> So, I think that the beauty of gopher is network-transparency.  It's a
> buzzword you hear a lot these days, referring to things like
> databases, terminal servers, etc.  But gopher really *DOES* network
> transparency.  If you use a browser like UMN gopher, which is probably
> the closest we have to a real filesystem presentation, what you see is
> essentially a large global filesystem.
>
> From this, you get other benefits.  You get the straightforward uniform
> presentation you like.  You get another thing you don't get in the Web
> -- not only do you not know when you leave a site, but you don't care.
>
> I've never actually used GopherVR or the "futuristic console" stuff,
> so I'll skip commenting on those...

Try using the GopherMoo then.  Text-based multi-user gopher tech.

I have not seen anything else quite like this.

Another totally random thing, I think 3dwm (www.3dwm.org) combined
with a gophervr application would be very interesting..  For example
you could have fully rendered html displayed on the monuments, etc.

Anyway, I hope to have more time to devote to this type of thing in
the future. (I'm bareley keeping up with the mailing list  :)

Cheers

--
Paul Lindner    lindner@xxxxxxxxx   ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |

    mod_perl Developer's Cookbook   http://www.modperlcookbook.org