Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Hotseat play

To: Karl-Ingo Friese <kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Miguel Farah F." <miguel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pasi Yli-Paavola <innocentexcile@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Hotseat play
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:59:14 -0500

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 08:44:48PM +0200, Karl-Ingo Friese wrote:
> I never heard "hotseat" as well but I guess that it means that the
> seat (in front of the computer) is hot. In other words: constant
> fighting for the keyboard control ;)

        Yes, that's it.
        It doesn't fit the Civ model very well, for many of the reasons
that Play By Email doesn't -- Diplomacy is very hard to do right, since
any back-and-forth discussions must be either incredibly strung out or
computer controlled with possible stored hints from the inactive human
players.  Attacks by other players also have to be stored for a turn so
that they can be displayed when the appropriate player takes the hot seat.
        There are just a LOT of little interactivity issues that crop up
when you try to do stuff like this.  Multiple clients on multiple machines
is much easier.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."