Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Cannot run civclient... (PR#640)

To: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: nbogucki@xxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Cannot run civclient... (PR#640)
From: Guillaume Cottenceau <gc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 Jan 2001 17:59:13 +0100

Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

[...]

> >> Do you think I should try to install an other one?
>
> 1.10.0 is pretty old.  You might want to try a more recent version
> (RPMs available at www.freeciv.org, I think) and enjoy lots of
> bugfixes and nice new features.

In our Cooker we currently have 1.11.4 which must be the latest one if I'm
not wrong.

> > It worked when I tested it on a 7.1 machine when I built it. It's
> > hard to tell more if you can't make a part of debugging by yourself.
>
> One way to do this would be to start civclient inside the debugger,
> like this:
>
> First type gdb `which civclient` .  Note the direction of the quotes;
> they're slanted the opposite way when compared to normal ones, like
> this: '

[...]

> Forward this information to the guy who compiled your version of
> Freeciv.  He should be able to use it to work out where Freeciv
> crashed.

That's me -- but I doubt it could produce anything valuable with freeciv
compiled without "-g" and with "-fomit-frame-pointer"..

PS : here at mandrakesoft we played the whole friday's night with freeciv,
5 human players against 3 cpu's in easy mode (we don't play *that*
often..) and I have to say a big "thank you" to all the freeciv team,
that's probably the best free software game achievement out there..

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://us.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/