Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2001:
[Freeciv] Time-outs - a suggestion

To: virtual-freeciv.org-freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Time-outs - a suggestion
From: "R. Miller" <richere@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 13:46:39 -0500

In a related item, (Big cities vs small cities (was: smallpox syndrome)

Michael Hasselmann wrote:

Reinier Post wrote:

> I agree that size is important, but technology level, skill in coordination of > units, and motor skills (how fast you can pop up and click down the dialogs to
> control units) are more important.

hum...and you like that?
I think about a game that always re-invents itself, as you not only have
to adjust your strategy from match to match. It should reveal to you as
a new game (or at least reveal new aspects of gameplay) everytime you
play it. And sometimes you should be forced to completely change your
strategy. My first matches on the Freeciv server were exactly like this.
I never understood ICS before, even not in (local) multiplayer games.
But my first matches on that server  _were_ a totally new exprience -
and it was just great fun. Now it's getting boring because of these
things you mentioned.

I don't think that there can be any fun in starting a
"Who-has-the-faster-input-device-AND-the-better-connection-to-the-internet"-competition.
This stupid competition is the cause for the high frustration level in
games like Unreal or Quake, and Freeciv shouldn't even try to be a
action game (at least not in this meaning) or to go into that direction.
Then, it would be brain-dead 'cause any machine can react ways better
than us. Action is fine, just re-action isn't. That's why I'm pretty
undecided about "timeout". I don't really hate it, as it fastens things
up. But at the same time it is just frustrating in delicate situations.

Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention: A mouse is the shittiest input
device ever.

Time-outs - a suggestion.

I have not yet played a network game, let alone with time-outs,
but I remember playing Civ (or CivNet) with timeouts.

I would suggest that a clock, like those use for chess, be implemented.
At the beginning of the game, all players are allocated a block of time;
as soon as a player ends a turn, his/her timer stops running;
the individual timers of other players continue running.

The total amount of time allotted might be adjusted individually - a feature.

What happens when you have consumed all of you alloted time?
I have no idea what would make sense in Freeciv,
but in chess, it means you have lost the game.

Robaire