Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Cannot run civclient... (PR#640)

To: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: nbogucki@xxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Cannot run civclient... (PR#640)
From: Guillaume Cottenceau <gc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Jan 2001 20:55:21 +0100

Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 12 Jan 2001, gc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >

> > [...]
> >>
> >> Gack!  IMHO one should always compile with -g.  It doesn't change
> >> the output from the compiler other than the addition of debugging
> >> info, which you will typically strip on installation.
> >
> > So what's the point of having them if at installation you remove
> > them??
>
> So that you can look up the numbers from a coredump (or whatever).

Which numbers? One stripped, the binary will lack all symbols, I don't see
what you can do..

Also, our aim is to limit the size of the binary, and the need of proper
debugging would require building with -g, not stripping binaries, for all
binaries, and also for the whole glibc, for gtk+, etc. This is simply too
high cost.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://us.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/