Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Cannot run civclient... (PR#640)

To: Guillaume Cottenceau <gc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: nbogucki@xxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Cannot run civclient... (PR#640)
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Jan 2001 17:54:28 +0000

On 12 Jan 2001, gc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>

> [...]
>
>> > That's me -- but I doubt it could produce anything valuable with
>> > freeciv compiled without "-g" and with "-fomit-frame-pointer"..
>>
>> Gack!  IMHO one should always compile with -g.  It doesn't change
>> the output from the compiler other than the addition of debugging
>> info, which you will typically strip on installation.
>
> So what's the point of having them if at installation you remove
> them??

So that you can look up the numbers from a coredump (or whatever).

Another way to do this would be to rebuild the program again, but it's
often rather tricky to ensure that there are no changes in the
environment that will affect the resulting executable.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
I'm having a BIG BANG THEORY!!