Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: game standards

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Brandon Van Every <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: game standards
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:22:45 -0500

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 06:33:13AM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> Game started from Civ, but went fare else.
> Obvious Examples :
> - AI system is COMPLETELY diferent (no handicaps)
> - freeciv is server/client, paycivs were one-piece
> - freeciv is multiplayer, paycivs were single-player

        Many civs have/had a multiplayer mode.  This was pretty much the
sole justification for CivNet and Civ2:MGE's existence, and it'a big
selling point for SMAC.

> - freeciv is GPL, paycivs had braindead licences

        Not relevant and inflammatory.

> - freeciv is XP, paycivs were platform-specific

        Civ1 was widely ported.  At least Mac, PC, and Amiga versions
existed, and Civ2 runs on the Mac, PC, and Playstation.  SMAC and CTP are
both Mac+PC now.
        Open source is not the only source of cross-platform results.

> - freeciv is SOFTware, paycivs were not (theru's no source, there's no
> software)

        Not relevant and inflammatory.

> - paycivs were buggy, freeciv is bugless providing enough time

        We're not TeX, thanks.  Freeciv is just as buggy as any other large
software project.  That we're committed to an "infinite" release schedule
is because we're not making money off this project, not because we think
perfection is the best software goal, though that is worthy.

> - freeciv supports FogOfWar, paycivs didn't

        Yes, they did.

> - freeciv support Ocean<->Land transformations, paycivs didn't

        SMAC does.

> - payciv's bloat is removed (throneroom/palace, trade system)

        That wasn't bloat.

        You really really really don't know how tempted I am to say "shut
up and get back in your hole".  You're showing a provincial and
historically ignorant bias.

        And it's not just that you're provably wrong on so many points.
You're strident about it.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."