Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] slavery and the Renaissance

To: "freeciv" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] slavery and the Renaissance
From: "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:55:22 -0700

> It's not about protecting developers _at all_. It's about
> protecting companies. Developers wouldn't have to "sweat blood"
> if the company they work for didn't make them.

Some developers own their own companies.  And they seek protections for
their work in exactly the same way as the big companies.  The
enforcement of the law is not selective in this regard, it doesn't rest
with your moral opinion of the company's employment practices.

> And before you say "the world doesn't owe you XXX" again - the
> world doesn't owe you intellectual property. Different than
> material property, IP is not recognized as a fundamental right,
> but rather is a convention created in the Renaissence to
> protect creativity. Read up on it.

The abolition of slavery didn't happen in the USA until 1865.  I can't
remember what year blacks stopped being counted as 3/5 of a person for
purposes of voting.  Women didn't get to vote until 1920.  What on earth
is your point?  Intellectual property has a much longer track record
than these other so-called "fundamental rights."

Cheers,             Infernal Troublemaker                    Troll
Mallor              "By simple mistake, mortals themselves amuse."