Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Suggestion and request for review

To: Joe Wright <jmwright@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Suggestion and request for review
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:40:10 -0500

At 2000/02/29 00:12 , Joe Wright wrote:
>Hi!  I have written an article (information + review) about Freeciv
>which will be published on the web later this week.  Would you be
>interested in previewing this article to make certain that I haven't
>made any obvious errors in talking about the game?  I have been as
>thorough and as careful as possible while reading and writing about
>Freeciv, but I would hate to publish a glaring mistake.  If you'd like
>to preview, you can find the article at my own site:
>http://home.rnc.net/~jmwright/writings/qr2.html

Thanks for a very flattering review.

I noticed one typo: you abbreviate "Civilization: Call to Power" as
"Civ:CTF", rather than "Civ:CTP".

Playing with AIs can be easier than creating each AI separately.  Just
start civserver and type "set aifill 7".  Then, when you connect with your
civclient and "start" the game (from the server) you'll be facing six AI
opponents (the 7 from aifill minus one human (yourself)) that are randomly
selected from the list of nations.

I don't know if you might want to mention Freeciv's high degree of
configurability -- the 50+ server options; the rulesets (techs,
governments, units, buildings, terrain, nations, cities), which control
most facets of the game; the tilesets, which control the graphical
presentation.  And more is on the way.

Thanks, again.

jjm