Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Suggestion and request for review

To: Joe Wright <jmwright@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Suggestion and request for review
From: paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 22:46:04 -0800

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 11:12:06PM -0600, Joe Wright wrote:
> Hi!  I have written an article (information + review) about Freeciv
> which will be published on the web later this week.  Would you be
> interested in previewing this article to make certain that I haven't
> made any obvious errors in talking about the game?  I have been as
> thorough and as careful as possible while reading and writing about
> Freeciv, but I would hate to publish a glaring mistake.  If you'd like
> to preview, you can find the article at my own site:
> http://home.rnc.net/~jmwright/writings/qr2.html

I read this and I like it.

You might also note, that there is a native Amiga client and that windows
support
is coming along nicely (even without an X server).

The number of nations is growing everyday, 1.10.0 was released with 44 nations.

> Second, my suggestion: while researching Freeciv I read through the
> online FAQ and was quite surprised to find some language I didn't
> expect, specifically the F word.  Although it was meant as a quote from
> clueless Windows users (and I know how frustrating they can be), I
> thought that it was still inappropriate for your site.  The Freeciv site
> is quite professional and inviting; I'm certain that you mean it to be
> accessible to all.  This language unfortunately mars the site and could
> really turn people off.  You might want to reconsider it.

I removed this immediately.  Sorry if it offended you or anyone else.
I don't know how it got in there or when, it may have been there a long
time.  Most of the Freeciv crowd are not native english speakers and as
such, I don't think they are offended as much by this type of language.
This is an observation I have made, bad words in spanish (the only other
language I can speak) never offend me as much as the same translated
words do in english.

> Finally, thanks for a great game.  I personally have spent far too much
> time on it, and a co-worker has spent far more.  It's better than the
> original Civ games and keeps improving.  Great job!

Its a fun project to follow, but more fun to be involved in :)

--
Paul Zastoupil