Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: unable to set language on OSF1

To: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: unable to set language on OSF1
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 17:25:03 +0100

> Unless you plan to run Freeciv from the place where you just compiled
> it, you need to configure with "--prefix=/some/place" and then use
> "make install".  You can install into your $HOME directory, or any other
> place that you have write permissions, and you don't need to be root.

Yes, I know.  I didn't realise the $NLSPATH variable had to be set,
although it's quite obvious.

> Personally, I'd recommend against installing into /tmp.  Things that
> go into /tmp may disappear without warning if the system administrator
> needs to clean it up.

That's the whole idea.  $HOME space is more expensive than /tmp,
and restoring a Freeciv installation only takes a couple of minutes.
I would advise against choosing /tmp because it is usually cleaned out
automatically and should never overflow, but I can safely use it on my
own Linux box, where I'm the only user.

--
Reinier