Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: unable to set language on OSF1

To: jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: unable to set language on OSF1
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 21:52:13 +0100

> What did the output from ./configure say about NLS and gettext?

checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking whether included gettext is requested... no
checking for libintl.h... (cached) yes
checking for gettext in libc... (cached) yes

> If it indicates that gettext is not found, maybe you will have to
> ./configure with the "--with-included-gettext" option.

Yes, I have to do this on Solaris because it doesn't compile with the
native gettext.  But I can't get German there, either.

> Did you do a "make install", with the necessary permissions to be able to
> install the freeciv.mo files (typically "su root")?  Is there a freeciv.mo
> file in the right place (on my machine:
> /use/local/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/freeciv.mo)?

No!  On the systems I use, root doesn't want to touch Freeciv.
I install it into /tmp or a similar location, and never even use
'make install'.

Well, that explains the problem.  I'm sure I can fix it now.  Thanks.

> This does point out a need for a page of "users" information about
> localization, somewhere.

Well, I did find information in several places.  Maybe we should rip off

  http://www.cerca.umontreal.ca/vu/en/vuemnode71.html

and put it on the site somewhere.

--
Reinier