Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: unable to set language on OSF1

To: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: unable to set language on OSF1
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 09:34:10 -0500

Reinier Post (rp@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> No!  On the systems I use, root doesn't want to touch Freeciv.
> I install it into /tmp or a similar location, and never even use
> 'make install'.

> Well, that explains the problem.  I'm sure I can fix it now.  Thanks.

Unless you plan to run Freeciv from the place where you just compiled
it, you need to configure with "--prefix=/some/place" and then use
"make install".  You can install into your $HOME directory, or any other
place that you have write permissions, and you don't need to be root.

Personally, I'd recommend against installing into /tmp.  Things that
go into /tmp may disappear without warning if the system administrator
needs to clean it up.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers