Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv] Just to start the game : help !

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Just to start the game : help !
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 02:32:34 -0200

On Dec 30, Nicolas FRANCOIS decided to present us with:

> Well... "/sbin/ifconfig/ host localhost" doesn't seem to work. After a
> little while in the man pages, I tried "/sbin/ifconfig/" and the answer was
> empty. Every other try resulted in a 'syntax error'-like message. Sorry if
> this is not enough for you.

My fault, I must have been half asleep or my keyboard didn't
cooperate :-) it was "/sbin/ifconfig; host localhost" (two
commands) but the ";" somehow didn't go trough.

However, an empty ifconfig already answers us. The "host" was to
check dns _if_ ifconfig returned something. But:

> I think you're right when you say that my kernel isn't correctly
> configured. I compiled a new one, with minimal network support (just
> network and IP support). Now one thing I am sure is that I don't know what
> to do to configure the  "dummy net interface". You'll have to be patient
> with me on that.

In the "network devices" section of kernel configuration. You
have to enable dummy and PPP if you plan to connect using
dialup.

> Where can I read something (HOWTO or other) that explain me simply what to
> do now ? I have a 'network configuration' program in my menus (RH 5.2,
> 2.0.35 (don't applied the patches !)), with a '127.0.0.1
> localhost.localdomain' line, but what do I do with it ?

Sorry, I don't redhat as you see by my sig, so I don't know
about that stupid control panel :-)

> (BTW, in terms of speed, you impress me. Not in hollidays ?)

I'm pagan :-)

> >Debian GNU/Linux       --        http://www.debian.org
>
> What about Debian ? Are the packages cool to manage ?

I think so and a lot of people do, but let's not turn this into
distribution advocacy ;-)

[]s,
                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls