Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv] Just to start the game : help !

To: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Just to start the game : help !
From: Nicolas FRANCOIS <nicofran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 03:07:53 +0100

At 00:57 29/12/98 -0200, you wrote:
>On Dec 28, Nicolas FRANCOIS decided to present us with:
>>
>> But when I start a client, the program opens, the box 'connect' opens, and
>> I am unable to connect. It says that there is no network found. The default
>                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Ahh here... could that be "network is unreacheable" or what?
>This is the real clue.
>
>Probably your kernel has no "dummy net interface" or the
>loopback network interface isn't configured. Type
>"/sbin/ifconfig/ host localhost" in that xterm and paste us the
>output...

Well... "/sbin/ifconfig/ host localhost" doesn't seem to work. After a
little while in the man pages, I tried "/sbin/ifconfig/" and the answer was
empty. Every other try resulted in a 'syntax error'-like message. Sorry if
this is not enough for you.

I think you're right when you say that my kernel isn't correctly
configured. I compiled a new one, with minimal network support (just
network and IP support). Now one thing I am sure is that I don't know what
to do to configure the  "dummy net interface". You'll have to be patient
with me on that.

Where can I read something (HOWTO or other) that explain me simply what to
do now ? I have a 'network configuration' program in my menus (RH 5.2,
2.0.35 (don't applied the patches !)), with a '127.0.0.1
localhost.localdomain' line, but what do I do with it ?

Please, answer fast, I WANT TO PLAY FREECIV !!!!!!!!!!!!!

(BTW, in terms of speed, you impress me. Not in hollidays ?)

>Debian GNU/Linux       --        http://www.debian.org

What about Debian ? Are the packages cool to manage ?

\bye

Nicolas FRANCOIS (nicofran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Venez faire un p'tit bizou a ma fille :
  http://perso.club-internet.fr/nicofran/index.htm

We are Micro$oft. Resistance is futile. You wil be assimilated.