Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: December 2001:
[FreeCiv-Java] Re: Build: jfreeciv FAILED to build

Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Re: Build: jfreeciv FAILED to build
From: "Ben Mazur" <bmazur@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:34:10 -0800

From: "Brian Duff"

> wow, I didn't know that: I suppose it's a good thing for
Java, but not
> necessarily ideal for us :(
>
> I still think we should move to 1.4, even at the possible
expense of a few
> potential users (er gamers) :). Maybe we should look into
web start to make
> it as easy as possible to install jfreeciv (I think web
start can download /
> install JREs for you...?)
>
> Brian

What are the exact features we gain by using 1.4?  Brian
mentioned:

o Numeric keypad differentiation
o Increased scrolling performance

I can't envision living without any of the 1.4 features
although:

o XML might be useful for a config file, if we moved away
from .civclientrc
o I think a drag & drop worklist would be more intuitive
than the up/down/add/remove/etc. buttons the C client uses.
This would be easier to implement in 1.4, though not
impossible in 1.3.

I think we should stick with 1.3 if moving to 1.4 is going
to lose us any users.  However, I don't think anybody
willing to download both the binary distribution, data
files, and to play locally, one of the server binaries, is
going to be deterred by having to install the latest JRE.

Ben