Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-i18n: August 2002:
[freeciv-i18n] Re: Freeciv po files

To: Freeciv translators <freeciv-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Deutsche Freeciv Übersetzer <freeciv.de@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-i18n] Re: Freeciv po files
From: Egbert Hinzen <egbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 02:57:48 +0200 (CEST)

On 22 Aug 2002, Davide Pagnin wrote:

> The fourth %s, the relevant one, is somewhat misterious (loc_str) but if
> you check in the code you'll find that:
>
> 1. loc_str = get_location_str_in(pplayer, punit->x, punit->y);
> 2. get_location_str return 5 possible strings (" at %s", " in %s", "
> outside %s", " near %s", "") that are city proximity hints.
>
> THUS, with actual German translation, those hint are no more given to
> German player...

You're right, but...

if I understand you right you say we should add english sentences (at ,
in, outside, or near) in a German translation... 8-(

> I think that you can reconsider your objection to the -c crusade,
> because as you can see in this case, a translation error has been
> found...

If the authors of gettext are thinking of '-c' as standard, it would be
the standard and you would have to add a parameter to disable it!
Yes, I truly believe it's a debugging para only.

(and again: The additional output of '-c' aren't errors but
warnings/hints.)

> Again, I suggest to review all problematic strings and I think that
> maintainers will certainly cooperate in correcting English strings if
> they are problematic.

Looking for peace I forward this to the German translation list and if
there is s.o. with fair translations for this sentences they will be
accepted...

--
Egbert Hinzen
... PGP Public Keys at www.hinzen-koeln.de