Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New nation Spanish second Republic

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <miguel.farah@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New nation Spanish second Republic
From: <ignaciovicario@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 01:14:07 -0000

miguel.farah@xxxxxxxxx dijo:

> On 4/10/06, ignaciovicario@xxxxxxxxxx <ignaciovicario@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Dear developers,
> >
> > I have uploaded to ftp://upload.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/ a new
> > nation. It is a file called spanish_second_republic.tar.gz I have made
it
> > from 2.1.0-beta1 version of the game.
> >
> > It is a variant made from the Spanish nation, but with the flag and the
> > rulers of the Spanish 2nd Republic (1931-1939).
>
> I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have separate nations rulesets for
> what's the same country, with a different government. Should there be,
> say, a French kingdom ruleset, a French Empire ruleset, a French Fifth
> Republic (to say nothing of the previous four)? Also, it kinda looks
> odd to have a Spanish Republic *kingdom*.
>
> That said, Manuel Azaña *should* be added to the leader list in the
> spanish.ruleset file.

It could look extrange the same country with tho flags, but that is
something true from the historical point of view: since 1936 till 1939,
there were two nations with two rulers and two flags who claimed to be
Spain. In the game, there is a possibility of a civil war, and the most
realistic civil war from an historical point of view, is the civil war
betwen the Spanish second republic and the militar sublevation of Franco.

Anyway, the game has both Roma and Italy, and it sounds more extrange the
possibility of a fight betwen a modern state like USA against an ancient one
like Sumerian.

The reason for making the nation Spanish_second_republic is that in Spain
some people, mainly left-wingers, do not feel comfortable with the
red-yellow flag on everywhere in the map. That is because of the 40 years of
government of the extreme right-wing dictator Franco, who defeated the
second republic. Of course, the red-yellow flag is now fine from both legal
and democratic points of view, but for some people it evocates extreme
right-wing connotations. It is a matter of taste. ¿Do you think that germans
would feel well having the svastic flag in the map? The red-yellow flag was
imposed by the military sublevation of Franco, the Spanish equivalent to
Mussolili or Hitler. Regardless of its legal and democratic legitimity
nowadays, some people do not feel well watching such a flag all over the
map. That is the reason of making a new nation ruleset. Anyway, you are the
developers...