Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New nation Spanish second Republic

To: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <miguel.farah@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New nation Spanish second Republic
From: <ignaciovicario@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:41:13 -0000

Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx> dijo:

> On 2006-04-13, at 10.14, <ignaciovicario@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > It could look extrange the same country with tho flags, but that is
> > something true from the historical point of view: since 1936 till 1939,
> > there were two nations with two rulers and two flags who claimed to be
> > Spain. In the game, there is a possibility of a civil war, and the most
> > realistic civil war from an historical point of view, is the civil war
> > betwen the Spanish second republic and the militar sublevation of
> > Franco.
>
> The problem here is the actual naming of this civil war nation. IMHO
> "Spanish-Republic" isn't satisfactory.
>
> > The red-yellow flag was
> > imposed by the military sublevation of Franco, the Spanish equivalent
> > Mussolili or Hitler. Regardless of its legal and democratic legitimity
> > nowadays, some people do not feel well watching such a flag all over
> > the
> > map. That is the reason of making a new nation ruleset. Anyway, you
> > are the
> > developers...
> >

> The policy in Freeciv is to have the most recent flag of any 'modern'
> nation - to avoid (most) political controversy.
>
> It wouldn't hurt if we had support for user-selectable alternative
> flags though. Not just because of this one; there are many other
> nations who have sound historical flags. Imperial Russia, China
> Republic (five stripes), Imperial Vietnam/South Vietnam, Pre-Revolution
> French Kingdom etc etc. (AI players would always default to the
> standard flag still.)
>
> -Daniel

I've realized that "Spanish-Republic" is not right as a name: from a
historical point of view, there have been two republican periods, and this is
the second one, and from the game point of view, Spain can became a republic
too. For the same reason "China Republic" should have a better name too. A
better name could be "Spanish 2nd Republic".

Of course, it should not be a modern nation.  In fact, in the file
spanish_second republic.ruleset it is
stated: &#8220;groups=_("Medieval"),_("European")&#8221;