Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New nation Spanish second Republic

To: "ignaciovicario@xxxxxxxxxx" <ignaciovicario@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New nation Spanish second Republic
From: miguel.farah@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:51:52 -0400

On 4/12/06, ignaciovicario@xxxxxxxxxx <ignaciovicario@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> miguel.farah@xxxxxxxxx dijo:
>
> > On 4/10/06, ignaciovicario@xxxxxxxxxx <ignaciovicario@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear developers,
> > >
> > > I have uploaded to ftp://upload.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/ a new
> > > nation. It is a file called spanish_second_republic.tar.gz I have made
> it
> > > from 2.1.0-beta1 version of the game.
> > >
> > > It is a variant made from the Spanish nation, but with the flag and the
> > > rulers of the Spanish 2nd Republic (1931-1939).
> >
> > I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have separate nations rulesets for
> > what's the same country, with a different government. Should there be,
> > say, a French kingdom ruleset, a French Empire ruleset, a French Fifth
> > Republic (to say nothing of the previous four)? Also, it kinda looks
> > odd to have a Spanish Republic *kingdom*.
> >
> > That said, Manuel Azaña *should* be added to the leader list in the
> > spanish.ruleset file.
> >

> It could look extrange the same country with tho flags, but that is
> something true from the historical point of view: since 1936 till 1939,
> there were two nations with two rulers and two flags who claimed to be

As is typical in any civil war. Also, there wasn't an actual separation of
both countries, as was/is the case of Korea, Vietnam, Germany, and
-although different- mainland China and Taiwan.

> Spain. In the game, there is a possibility of a civil war, and the most
> realistic civil war from an historical point of view, is the civil war
> betwen the Spanish second republic and the militar sublevation of Franco.

Maybe, but the so-called segregation -if at all- lasted for three years only.

I'm still uncomfortable about this: it's not like there were "North/South
Spains"... we're talking here about a republic (which WAS the one and
only Spanish government before the civil war broke out).

> Anyway, the game has both Roma and Italy, and it sounds more extrange the
> possibility of a fight betwen a modern state like USA against an ancient one
> like Sumerian.

Yup, but then again, the Roman Empire is quite different from the modern Italy.
It would be the same situation if we were adding a Visigoth kingdom ruleset in
addition to Spain proper.

> The reason for making the nation Spanish_second_republic is that in Spain
> some people, mainly left-wingers, do not feel comfortable with the
> red-yellow flag on everywhere in the map. That is because of the 40 years of
> government of the extreme right-wing dictator Franco, who defeated the

Let's point the blame to King Carlos III, then. He's the one who picked up
the design in 1785... the current flag, not counting variations on the
embedded shield, has been the state flag since 1843 (so King Fernando VII
also should take some heat). Franco's decree simply took down the
red-yellow-purple republican [1] flag and went back to the older one.

[1] I've always found amusing that the republican flag adopted the color
PURPLE, which was the royal color of the flag of the Kingdom of Castilla.

> second republic. Of course, the red-yellow flag is now fine from both legal
> and democratic points of view, but for some people it evocates extreme
> right-wing connotations. It is a matter of taste. [...]

Again, really? I've only heard such criticism coming from the extreme
left-wing...

> would feel well having the svastic flag in the map? The red-yellow flag was
> imposed by the military sublevation of Franco, the Spanish equivalent to

I'm sorry, but I must insist this isn't the case. The flag is older than Franco
(regardless of temporary tainting).

More information at the Flags of the World site:
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/es.html
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/es1785.html

--
Miguel Farah