Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14923) Stupid AI Building Wants

To: badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14923) Stupid AI Building Wants
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:13:41 -0800

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Benedict Adamson wrote:
> > Ideally we should add piece by piece and measure improvements somehow.
>
> I initially tried that approach, but it failed. The underlying problem
> is that the want computation code is plain broken.

How is it broken? It does seem to work. Of course, there are the usual
problems in that attackers always outweight everything else, but I do not
see how you change this.

> Once the AI is at Republic, it does not want to build Settlers because
> of their increased upkeep. Consequently, an AI that reaches Republic
> before it has placed its first colonies abroad is beaten by an AI that
> remains at Monarchy for a little longer.

Is not the problem then that the AI stops building settlers under
Republic?

> > Yet the net result is that techs are traded for 1/12th the current value,
> > no? The AI would be selling itself cheap.
>
> The code as it stood was plain wrong. My patch makes it dimensionally
> correct. Perhaps now it is correct but stupid :-) Once we have the
> number of 'bulbs' we must convert those to gold. How much gold is one
> bulb worth? You seem to be saying 12 $/bulb, but that seems excessive to me.

Interesting. I just set it to something based on playtesting intuition.

  - Per