Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15736) airlift behaviour change proposal for 2.1

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15736) airlift behaviour change proposal for 2.1
From: "Jaroslav Libák" <jarol1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 03:31:02 -0800

>  >
>  > Limiting incoming airlifts to the size of the city is not feasible.
>  > There is no good way to display this data, and it needs to be shown for
>  > the information to be usable.  As it is we should have an "airlifted"
>  > flag that can be shown on the city somewhere.
>  >
>  > We *could* drop the limitation entirely however.
>
>  Huh, I was, am and will be agianst dropping limitation. Momentary
>  huge mass movement for a long distance is a bad thing for me. (Yes,
>  unlimited railways movement is a bad thing for me too.)

Limiting incoming airlifts to a city renders airlifting a useless feature, which
cannot be used during attack due to the limit, and cannot be used even during
defence due to complicated and slow interface.

Quick mass movement makes the game fast, which is appreciated by many players
since their time is limited and it brings more action into the game. They can
concentrate
on assault instead of ferrying units in transports which get sunk by subs.

Removing featues which accelerate the game would not only make the game slower,
but
would also probably make some of current players stop playing freeciv as it
happened during
the transition from 1.14 to 2.0. Changing road and railroad behaviour would be
disasterous
for defender before flight era, and for the attacker aftewards (howitzers would
be killed by fighters).

I suggest that players in 2.1 should be given the option to choose between
unlimited and limited
incoming airlifts in initial server settings and by modifying ruleset.

>  Airlifting into teammates/allies cities should be allowed. (Well,
>  it should be allowed to cities, in which we can have our units.)
>
>  --
>  Thanks, evyscr

Jaroslav Libak