Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14980) Re: Re: 'true' civil war nations

To: badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14980) Re: Re: 'true' civil war nations
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:44:31 -0800

On 2005-12-26, at 11.18, Jason Short wrote:

> Daniel Markstedt wrote:
>>
>> Ok ok, I see your point. =)
>>
>> The difference is that Soviet and CSA are defunct nations that existed
>> for a relatively short period of time that relatively few people today
>> identify themselves with them and would like to play them in Freeciv.
>>
>> But if you insist, I can commit them to the default nation list. As
>> you
>> say, it's not much more historically inappropriate than many of the
>> nations we already have (i.e. most modern-only nations.)
>
> I have no particular opinion on this, but if nobody wants the nation or
> requests it *except* as a civil war nation, I think it's fine to leave
> it as a civil war nation.  Of course once somebody sees it they will
> want to play it and complain that they can't.
>
> As I've said before, what's needed isn't to remove nations completely
> from being playable but to make the interface for choosing them less
> overwhelming.
>
> -jason

Let's put them in a separate group similar to 'Fictional' then! There
they won't bother anyone: no cluttering of other groups and they won't
be randomly selected as ai players (people might complain they have to
face the Soviets in the ancient era otherwise ;-) )

The problem is the naming of this group. Some people don't like the
Soviet nation to be sorted as 'civil war'...

-Daniel