Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14980) Re: Re: 'true' civil war nations

To: badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14980) Re: Re: 'true' civil war nations
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:18:28 -0800

Daniel Markstedt wrote:

> Ok ok, I see your point. =)
>
> The difference is that Soviet and CSA are defunct nations that existed
> for a relatively short period of time that relatively few people today
> identify themselves with them and would like to play them in Freeciv.
>
> But if you insist, I can commit them to the default nation list. As you
> say, it's not much more historically inappropriate than many of the
> nations we already have (i.e. most modern-only nations.)

I have no particular opinion on this, but if nobody wants the nation or
requests it *except* as a civil war nation, I think it's fine to leave
it as a civil war nation.  Of course once somebody sees it they will
want to play it and complain that they can't.

As I've said before, what's needed isn't to remove nations completely
from being playable but to make the interface for choosing them less
overwhelming.

-jason