Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14522) Hotseat mode

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14522) Hotseat mode
From: "Andreas Røsdal" <andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:09:43 -0800

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Jason Short wrote:
> I think there should be a new start-page choice "Start new hotseat game".

Fixed.

> Also, I don't quite understand the hotseat option.  If I set it to 2, I
> play with 2 players from one client.  What if a second client connects?

Mixing several players on the same client and players on other clients is
not implemented, because it increases the complexity a lot. And, I doubt
anyone will find it useful. Therefore, the second client will not be able
to take any players.

> There is a problem in that enemy movement isn't shown.  This is probably
> insolvable.

I think it will be quite difficult to do it. (Hotseat in Civ2 and Civ4
does not do this either.)

> The hotseat "page" could probably use some improvement, though that's
> not necessary for committing the patch.  It could show flags for all
> players to show the turn order, and loop through them to show the
> progress of the game (in games with many AI players this may be needed
> since you would otherwise spend some time waiting in this phase, and not
> know why - you should see each AI player going so you know how long
> you're waiting).

I agree with this. Fixed.

> The "next player" entry on the hotseat page should also give the nation
> as well as the player name.

Fixed.

> A related problem, which I assume you have not fixed, is that /take
> unnecessarily resends all ruleset info.  This is fairly slow, and
> entirely unnecessary.  All that's needed (and this should be a separate
> patch) is to send a game-reset packet that tells the client to forget
> all the game info it knows.

I'll try to make a separate patch for this.

Thanks for looking at this patch. Is there anything else?

Andreas R.