Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13843) Data: Roman numerals in leader names

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13843) Data: Roman numerals in leader names
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 04:54:08 -0700

On 2005-09-05, at 09.26, Christian Knoke wrote:

>> Leaving something up to the imagination of the players is good too:
>> "Otto" represents all great Ottos in German history; Just imagine
>> you're playing your favorite one. ;-)
>
> When you write simple "Otto" you could place 'Fred' and 'Joe' in here
> as
> well.

The same is true with for example "Arthur" in Cornish nation and
"Leopold" in Belgian nation. I guess I wanted a regular naming scheme
throughout Freeciv.

> OTOH, if a player doesn't like roman numbers, she can remove it, or
> choose
> another name from list, or invent a new one..

Well I'm thinking AI players too...

>> I suppose you're right about this. You know your own nation best. When
>> thinking about it, why not make the Germans an Ancient nation too? The
>> first two leaders on the list are most certainly ancient era leaders.
>
> Ok, 'medieval' more in the sense of culture and language, but I
> hesitate to
> speak of 'Germany' in the times when Arminius hit back the Roman
> Empire.
>
> Christian

Of course, Germany as a state didn't exist until late 19th century. But
German tribes clashed with the Roman empire and eventually in a sense
conquered them. That's partially why I thought Germans should be an
'ancient' nation. Also, I think the legend should describe medieval
Germans as well as ancient germans, if we decide to make them ancient
that is.

Since this is a controversial patch, I will move the grammar fixes to a
separate ticket. The main aim of this patch certainly needs more
discussion.

Daniel