Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13843) Data: Roman numerals in leader names

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13843) Data: Roman numerals in leader names
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 23:21:06 -0700

On 2005-09-04, at 22.57, Christian Knoke wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 06:12:38AM -0700, Daniel Markstedt wrote:
>>
>> This patch removes all Roman numerals I could find (except russian
>> nation that's modified with patch in ticket #13836 and swedish,
>> danish,
>> viking nations that's modified with patch in ticket #3594). Duplicates
>> that is thus created, are deleted. I also removed titles from certain
>> leader names (e.g. General Guisan, Princessa Isabel etc)
>
> I still think that it does matter which number a leader has. Leaders
> are
> chosen after historical impact usually, and yes, this can mean that
> some
> names repeat with different numbers. I see no harm in it nor do I get
> the
> impression that those names give a strange look in the game. What is
> the
> problem with the roman numbers?

In Freeciv, the leader is something of a demigod, the founder and
guardian of the people from prehistoric times. But when attaching a
Roman numeral to the leader name, he/she becomes nothing but one in a
succession of leaders and not at all the "first and only" but second,
fifth, twelfth etc. He/she will also be firmly "locked" into a tight
historical timeframe.
Leaving something up to the imagination of the players is good too:
"Otto" represents all great Ottos in German history; Just imagine
you're playing your favorite one. ;-)

>> Added a few nations to more groups. Removed German nation from
>> Medieval
>> group since we have medieval German nations in the game (i.e.
>> Bavarian).
>
> Germany *is* also a medieval nation and not the same as Bavaria, which
> is a
> medieval but not a modern nation because it is part of Germany today.
>
> Since I'm the last editor of german.ruleset please keep this.
>
> Christian
>
> --
> Christian Knoke            * * *            http://cknoke.de
> * * * * * * * * *  Ceterum censeo Microsoft esse dividendum.

I suppose you're right about this. You know your own nation best. When
thinking about it, why not make the Germans an Ancient nation too? The
first two leaders on the list are most certainly ancient era leaders.

Oh, and I must compliment you on the great work you done on the German
ruleset. It is arguably the best nation ruleset in the game, both
content-wise and formatting-wise. :-)

Daniel