Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13843) Data: Roman numerals in leader names

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13843) Data: Roman numerals in leader names
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 00:26:29 -0700

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 11:21:06PM -0700, Daniel Markstedt wrote:

> >> This patch removes all Roman numerals I could find (except russian
> >> nation that's modified with patch in ticket #13836 and swedish, danish,
> >> viking nations that's modified with patch in ticket #3594). Duplicates
> >> that is thus created, are deleted. I also removed titles from certain
> >> leader names (e.g. General Guisan, Princessa Isabel etc)
> >
> > I still think that it does matter which number a leader has. Leaders are
> > chosen after historical impact usually, and yes, this can mean that some
> > names repeat with different numbers. I see no harm in it nor do I get
> > the impression that those names give a strange look in the game. What is
> > the problem with the roman numbers?
> >

> In Freeciv, the leader is something of a demigod, the founder and
> guardian of the people from prehistoric times. But when attaching a
> Roman numeral to the leader name, he/she becomes nothing but one in a
> succession of leaders and not at all the "first and only" but second,
> fifth, twelfth etc. He/she will also be firmly "locked" into a tight
> historical timeframe.

The leader is a real historic person, even if he lives forever in Freeciv.
Just the number makes him the "first and only".

> Leaving something up to the imagination of the players is good too:
> "Otto" represents all great Ottos in German history; Just imagine
> you're playing your favorite one. ;-)

When you write simple "Otto" you could place 'Fred' and 'Joe' in here as
well.

OTOH, if a player doesn't like roman numbers, she can remove it, or choose
another name from list, or invent a new one..

> I suppose you're right about this. You know your own nation best. When
> thinking about it, why not make the Germans an Ancient nation too? The
> first two leaders on the list are most certainly ancient era leaders.

Ok, 'medieval' more in the sense of culture and language, but I hesitate to
speak of 'Germany' in the times when Arminius hit back the Roman Empire.

Christian