Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13664) On the romanization of Japanese names

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13664) On the romanization of Japanese names
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 03:36:11 -0700

> Also I'm biased since I've never seen this accented Hepburn
> transliteration before, and I don't see what purpose it could serve.

Well I can assure you that Hepburn with macrons indeed is the official
style. It's particularly common in train stations. Here's some picture
proof:

http://www.geocities.jp/tosh1971/photos/photos1/ck-miyamotomusashistn-
b.jpg
http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/org/gakensen/gallery/p-ekimei2.jpg
http://www.because.ne.jp/ms/item49/139/photo03.jpg

> Even with ascii there is no possibility for confusion, so what purpose
> do the accents serve?
>
> -jason

1: They look good.
2: The style is standard in Japan and is therefore appropriate for the
Japanese nation in the game.

Daniel