Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13664) On the romanization of Japanese names

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13664) On the romanization of Japanese names
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 08:31:18 -0700

Peter Schaefer wrote:

>On 8/14/05, Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>All rulesets are UTF-8.  I don't see what purpose what you're suggesting
>>would have.  The client can use transliteration if it doesn't support
>>unicode but all good clients should use unicode.
>>
>>-jason
>>

>Well yes, that makes sense, but I am still kind of curious how many
>clients/people running clients would be able not only to handle, but
>to correctly display Hiragana city names.

I thought for a while that all Freeciv clients could handle Unicode with
flying colors every time but now I realize now that it depends very much
on both native OS support and installed fonts on every machine. But what
happends with uncommon accented latin in for example Iclandic or Polish
when Unicode fails? Will such letter show up as squares or are they
covered by extended ASCII? Just try and open up icelandic.ruleset or
polish.ruleset as plain ASCII for many examples of this...

As Unicode indeed is not completely universal (sic) yet I will of course
avoid more exotic accented latin in rulesets in the future.

Daniel