Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13664) On the romanization of Japanese names

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13664) On the romanization of Japanese names
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:15:03 -0700

Daniel Markstedt wrote:

> As Unicode indeed is not completely universal (sic) yet I will of course
> avoid more exotic accented latin in rulesets in the future.

Charset support depends entirely on the GUI client.

gui-gtk-1.2 uses the local charset.  However this client is removed in 2.1.

gui-gtk-2.0 uses all unicode (UTF-8).  Some characters may still not
show properly if the user doesn't have sufficient fonts installed
(particularly for Kanji).  We could get around this problem by including
a fontset in our distribution.

gui-win32 uses the standard windows charset (which varies by location).
  It could be rewritten to use "unicode" (UCS-2 I think) but I doubt
this will happen.  However gui-win32 uses transliteration for
unsupported characters (for an English user this includes a lot of the
east-European characters), and since gui-win32 uses GNU's libiconv
transliteration support is good.

In 2.1, gui-xaw uses UTF-8 also (I think?).  In 2.0 it also used the
local charset.

-jason