Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13429) Move player_research to team

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13429) Move player_research to team
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:07:27 -0700

Mateusz Stefek wrote:

>>2.  get_player_research should return NULL if the player has no team.
>>Callers must be audited for teamless players or NULL return values.
>
> Why can't we assume that each players has a team?
> An autogame with barbarians and civil war seems to work.

Well, no other code assumes this (I think).  Players may happen to be on
teams now but...I don't know if we always want this.  Having a team for
barbarian or observer players seems a bit foolish.  In particular these
players can't do research so having no research struct for them would
make sense.

-jason