Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12869) the happiness system

To: bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12869) the happiness system
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:04:42 -0700

Well, for starters, but may be not 100% accurate, and I also may be
mixing stuff from freeciv and the DOS version:

- angry citizens under Republic:
military units away from home cause one step of unhappiness
- cancelled by:
In freeciv1.14+ : no unhappiness if in any city
In freeciv2+     : no unhappiness if within own borders

- democracy:
effect of a military unit causing unhappiness is increased by
one(makes two uhappy)

-Womens Suffrage
effect of a military unit causing unhappiness is decreased by
one(makes none unhappy)
Is additive with democracy, so democracy+Women Suffrage should be like
Republic(one unhappy).

Unhappyness cause I am not sure are in freeciv:

- Air units:
Unhappiness is somehow different. Maybe +1, maybe just that they
always cause unhappiness(which actually increased your deployment
options, since they didnt have to stay at home.). its hard to tell,
since when I saw this, I usually had Womens Suffrage :)

- WMDs:
WMDs(nuclears and similar) somehow cause more unhappiness, I'm not
100% sure how this works. I think they always cause unhappiness,
regardless of being at home or not.

Features that I am missing in freeciv:

- defender
I believe that in Civ1.0 DOS, one citizen was unhappy if there was no
defender in the city. I recall regularly placing one defender to this
effect, especially under Republic. This would also modify smallpox
tactics and put a little more emphasis on defense. To put this the
other way, maybe it was more like this: Even under Republic, one
unhappy would be made content by a miliary unit, at least that was
the effect.

- corruption:
In Civ1.0: poor cities with lots of corruption would join the enemy
with the wealthiest city(, often a democracy). Something similar could
be done in freeciv by making corruption influence happiness somehow.

- diplomat action:
Incite revolt, or a similar option could cause unhappiness. My brain
remembers this from some version of civ, not sure which. Or maybe I am
confusing it with the "Sabotage" option, which reveals unhappiness
when it destroys a temple ?!?