Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12869) the happiness system

To: bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12869) the happiness system
From: "Brendon" <yautja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:30:44 -0700

Benoit Hudson wrote:

> At base, a city of size n has a certain number of citizens that are
> content.  In the default ruleset, that's 4 with a small civ, and fewer as
> the civ grows. The rest of the citizens start off unhappy.
>
> Then we have a series of priority levels:
> 0- base
> 1- luxuries
> 2- buildings and some wonders
> 3- units
> 4- Bach wonder
>
> Each level above 0 does some of three things:
> - make citizens content [temple, martial law]
> - make citizens happy   [luxuries, democracy+courthouse in original civ2]
> - make citizens unhappy [democracy+bombers]
>
> The rule is:
> - first make citizens content
> - then make citizens happy
>
> Turns out we never make citizens unhappy at the same time as we make them
> content or happy, so that order is undefined.  I'm not sure how we ever get
> angry citizens.
>
> 'make content' operates first on angry citizens then on unhappy ones.
>         It has no effect on content or happy citizens.
> 'make happy' operates first on content citizens, then unhappy, then angry.
> 'make unhappy' operates first on content citizens, then unhappy.

It should do buildings before it does luxuries.
I like to try and celebrate with 0% lux (or 10%) rate using entertainers
+ markets + banks.

This way you get 4 luxury (2 happy people) for every entertainer, or so
you would think...

Entertainers get taken from content citizens, if you have 3 - 4 of them
it has to convert unhappy -> content -> happy at the cost of 4 lux.

Even if you had enough buildings / wonders etc to keep everyone content
before you made them entertainers, and have over the city size in
luxuries it still doesn't celebrate.

And because you need at least 1 food excess and can't  make over 50% of
the citizens entertainers there is nothing you can do but increase your
luxury rate.

Doing luxurys last would be even better, so you could still celebrate
with max lux rate even with unit unhappiness and without the wonders to
fix it.