Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12735) posting patches

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12735) posting patches
From: "Brian Dunstan" <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:13:10 -0700

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Brian Dunstan wrote:
> > OK, the patch I had in mind adds a new AI level
> > ('expert', AI level 8), and has economic
> management
> > that mimics that of a largepox human player.
> > 95% of the code is in four new .c/.h file pairs in
> the
> > ai/ directory.Since it is a large patch, it may
> take
> > some high level discussion before trying to
> integrate
> > it
>
> You are going the completely wrong way about this.
> Instead of largely
> duplicating the existing AI code with your own
> changes, write changes to
> the existing AI code as a series of smaller patches.
>
> As to the content itself, I only looked at it
> briefly:
>
> Your patch hardcodes a lot of stuff that we have
> worked hard to
> generalize. This is bad.
>
> The idea of unit quotas is a good one, but the way
> they are calculated are
> much too simple. The AI is supposed to work correct
> with a great number of
> different rulesets.
>
>   - Per

Do you think having a setting that would allow the
user to choose between an AI that is expanisionist and
militarist, or one that is concentrates on building
large cities, research, and trade, is something that
has a place in freeciv?  If so, then once such a
setting was established, it could be given definition
with a series of small patches.

-Brian