Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12726) Bug: is_isometric is backwards in hex tiles

To: yobbobandana@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12726) Bug: is_isometric is backwards in hex tilespec
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:00:40 -0700

Yobbo Bandana wrote:

> Hmm, you're right about the wasted vertical space.
>
> As technically neither of the views is isometric,
> perhaps another variable name such as hex_orientation
> would be better than is_isometric for hex tilesets?

hex_orientation isn't much better than is_isometric, it's just a boolean
value that doesn't immediately convey its meaning to the user.  But a
better name might be workable, if we can come up with one.

FWIW, internally the client marks both hex tilesets with is_isometric,
and uses hex_width and hex_height variables to hold the length of the
"extra" side of the hex (the same value given in hex_side in the .tilespec).

As for the current state of affairs, it is a bug that the client and
server don't agree on which hex is "isometric".  But I agree neither is
a fundamentally isometric view.  See
http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Perspective for a discussion about this
(if you haven't yet).  Maybe the tile shape should be separated from the
is_isometric value completely (allowing overhead diamonds or isometric
squares or...whatever).

-jason