Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12727) Bug: unit and city sprites placed incorrect

To: yobbobandana@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12727) Bug: unit and city sprites placed incorrectly with plain hex tileset
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:05:20 -0700

Yobbo Bandana wrote:

> With a plain hex tileset (as opposed to an iso-hex
> one) all unit and city sprites are displayed
> approximately half a tile above where they should be.
>
> Terrain sprites and terrain overlays are displayed
> perfectly, and mouse clicks are handled where they
> should be (e.g. clicking on the tile a unit *should*
> be in selects that unit, and drag-goto works nicely).
>
> I've attached a sample hex tileset to demonstrate. If
> you start a new game with -t flathex the flying
> explorer is the first thing you notice.
>
> The normal_tile_width is 56, height is 96, hex_side
> 32.
>
> I fiddled a lot of stuff in the tilespec but couldn't
> really think of why it might happen :/. The unit and
> city sprites use the same size normal_tile as the
> terain.

Since your normal_tile_height is 96, the unit graphics are supposed to
be 96 * 3 / 2 = 144 pixels high.  So you just need to move the unit
graphics down a bit.

Using the development version (through CVS; 2.0.99) this can be
accomplished by setting the unit_offset_y tileset variable.  In 2.0 you
have to edit the graphics by hand to move the artwork down.

Probably it is a bug that the graphics are offset by -50% in this hex
view.  This should be an "overhead" hex view so there shouldn't be any
offset like this.  Of course you could use an isometric perspective with
this regular-hex tile shap, just as you could use an isometric
perspective with the normal rectangular tile shape (see
http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Perspective).

-jason