Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12686) new effect slow_down_timeline

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12686) new effect slow_down_timeline
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:45:20 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>The problem is space-race is measured in years, like "13 years to reach
>>alpha centauri".If you don't have 1 year/turn once all parts are
>>buildable, then you'll get buggy behavior.
>

> We could just add to the game.ruleset:
>
> [time]
> years_per_turn = 50  ; or whatever is appropriate
> halve_years = -2000, 1, 1000, 1800 ; years in which to halve years_per_turn
>
> and then calculate years to reach alpha centauri as (years_per_turn *
> turns worth of flight) modified by halve_years if relevant.
>
> It would certainly be simpler.

There are two reasons I like the slow_down_timeline effect:

1.  It is a user of the new world-ranged tech requirement code - the
only user for now.

2.  It removes the ugly code that is in game.c now.  I'd like to take a
stab at reqs for buildings so I want to get rid of this code.

Halve_years would be part of a gen-calendar patch, not part of the
spaceship slowdown code.  I don't see that it is in any way simpler,
particularly if it means doing complex math for the spaceship arrival
calculations.  However we could rename slow_down_timeline as
halve_years_per_turn, add a minimum-turn requirement, and implement
everything that way.

[effect_1_AD]
name    = "Halve_Years_Per_turn"
value   = 1
reqs    =
     { "type", "name", "range"
       "Turn", "200", "World"
     }

I would also be willing to just remove this code and change all the
spaceship code to talk in turns rather than years.  Not too realistic
perhaps but just fine for gameplay.

-jason