Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12641) Move /score into player dialog

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12641) Move /score into player dialog
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:58:22 -0800

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:37:56AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> >
> > This patch moves the /score info into the player dialog. You can see the
> > score of any player you are in contact with.
> >
> > This cuts through all the arguments/difficulties associated with /score.
> >
> > It may not immediately be to everyone's liking, but it has the virtue of
> > simplicity and user-friendliness, and I challenge anyone to come up with
> > something better.
> >
> > What is /score used for? Mostly for ending games, I think. Players look at
> > a much higher score in another player and decide the game cannot be won
> > any longer.
> >
> > (For the longest time while playtesting this, I thought something had to
> > be wrong. I always had such a larger score than the AI. Then I realized, I
> > really am better than the AI.)
>
> My idea for score was that the full civ_score info should be tracked for
> all turns and all sent to the client.  The client can then use it to
> make pretty pictures (graphs, like other civ games have and like
> pubserver generates).  There are some problems with this idea of course.

I like the idea of making nice graphs later or at the end of the game.
(gold from other players, number of techs ...)

But with /score you get very much information.

With scoring every round you get information about:

Changing of government: (All normal -> all happy -> all normal)

Building of cities (score increases from begin of round to later by 1)
Producing settlers (score reduces by 1)
Getting techs

With all that information i can say what tactic another player is using
without seeing one unit from them.

So i oppose that someone gets the score from other players before having
embassy with him.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.